Who We Are:
- Mr. Cabell Guy: 6th Grade Counselor
- Ms. Heather Lindsay: 7th Grade Counselor
- Ms. Lisa Wright: 8th Grade Counselor
- Ms. Lauren Servis: School Psychologist
- Ms. Laura Saulle: Office Associate
|6th grade students||7th grade students||8th grade students|
|Contact Mr. Guy for an appointment||Contact Ms. Lindsay for an appointment||Contact Ms. Wright for an appointment|
|Office Hours: 11:15 - 12:00 every Friday|
What We Do:
- Counsel individuals and groups and provide support to students regarding their personal, social, academic and career development;
- Consult with parents, teachers, administrators and other support personnel regarding individual students;
- Orient new students to Sutherland;
- Collaborate with community members, other educators, and parents to support academic achievement as well as personal/social/emotional development;
- Maintain and update student records;
- Participate in conferences to discuss strategies to best support individual students;
- Refer families to community organizations that can support a student’s/family’s needs;
- Interpret standardized test scores for students, parents and teachers;
- Assist in the registration and scheduling of students;
- Work cooperatively with administration and teachers to identify and address student needs in the school environment.
Why Middle School Counselors?
“Middle school students are characterized by rapid physical growth, curiosity about their world and an emerging self-identity. Middle school counselors have an impact on these years by implementing a school counseling program and collaborating with school staff, parents and the community to create a safe, respectful learning environment whereby young adolescents can maximize personal and academic achievement.
Middle school counselors enhance the learning process and promote academic, career and social/emotional development. School counseling programs are essential for students to achieve optimal personal growth, acquire positive social skills and values, set informed career goals and realize full academic potential to become productive, contributing members of the world community,” (The Essential Role of Middle School Counselors, American School Counselor Association, 2019).